Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How do I wire a bath fan/light combo that also includes a 7 watt night light?

I want the main fan light and the fan to come on together and to be wired to a motion sensor switch with delay. I was thinking of either wiring the night light to a separate switch or to just to wire it directly to the power so it's stays on all the time.How do I wire a bath fan/light combo that also includes a 7 watt night light?
there will be 4 wires from a fan/light with a night light





neutral connect to neutral (white)





fan and main light wires both connect to the switched output of motion sensor.





night light you can connect to a constant hot (on all the time) or to a switch





you can pick up a constant hot in your light switch box.





Email me and I can send you a circuiting drawing in a .pdf formatHow do I wire a bath fan/light combo that also includes a 7 watt night light?
I would recommend wiring the night light to a different switch. I wouldn't recommend hard-wiring it. If you ever decide to sell your house, hard-wiring the night light would be something that most buyers wouldn't want.





The bath fan and light you could wire to the same motion detector switch, but you'll need to get a pretty good one. You might need to go to a specialty electrical supply store or specialty lighting store to find something that will work the way you want. When you step into the shower with regular motion detector switches you may get out of their field of view. And many of them use heat to detect when you are in the room, I'm not sure how a steamy shower will affect the motion detector. You may want to find one that has a timer...say it will stay on for a half hour after you enter the room. Or find one that can detect when you leave the room and won't go off till you leave the room. Otherwise you might be in the middle of your shower and out go the lights.





I put a motion detector in my garage to come on when I enter the garage leave the house. That way I don't have to worry about shutting off the light and fumbling in the dark to get to the car door. The only problem is that when I work towards the sides of the garage for a minute or two it won't detect that I'm there and out go the lights. It has a swith that can be turned to off, on or auto; but when I turn it to ON I often forget to turn it off due to the sliding switch and it being hard to switch.





Only your positive wires should get ran to the switch at least on most switches.

No comments:

Post a Comment